Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Amazing Pesto!


Hello all! Let me apologize for posting so infrequently this summer. I feel like I’ve been in a sort of culinary rut, stuck to the grill like an overdone hamburger. Each night I’ve found myself tending to  yet another inferno; I must admit that no matter how I dress it up, the endless slew of charred meat has become monotonous and uninspiring.

However, just when all hope was lost, I was newly inspired by one of the many miracles of modern science: the food processor!

I had considered buying a food processor several times before, but I definitely underestimated the power that such a simple tool could wield in the kitchen. Now I’m finally getting excited about dinner again.

I’d like to share a great pesto recipe which is incredibly quick and simple when using a food processor.

Sharp Pesto
__________________________________________________
2 cups fresh basil leaves
½ cup pecorino, shredded
½ cup walnuts (or pine nuts, if desired)
3 cloves garlic
⅓ cup robust olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste

Simply combine the ingredients in your food processor and pulse, adding oil until you’ve reached your desired consistency. This pesto can be served fresh or made in advance. When storing, pour a thin layer of oil over the surface of the pesto to retain freshness. For an extra zing, try adding a splash of balsamic vinegar.
____________________________________________________

















This pesto is great on chicken or vegetarian pasta dishes, and the taste of the fresh basil and garlic is unparalleled in any store-bought pesto. Try it out, and let me know what you like to make in the food processor!




No comments:

Post a Comment