Friday, June 15, 2012

Ricotta, Ricotta


I’ve been getting back to basics, attempting to replace some of the classic store-bought kitchen necessities in my fridge (i.e. mayonnaise, cheeses, stocks) with my own homemade substitutes.  I love making these critical ingredients myself, as doing so allows me to really nurture every dish I prepare. The product is usually fresher and richer than store-bought versions, and you can tweak the recipes to better suit the dish you have planned for it, allowing you to create perfect marriages of flavor.  

I’m going to show you a recipe I’m particularly fond of: homemade ricotta cheese! This recipe is incredibly quick and easy, and will produce a more firm and more rich ricotta than one can usually find in the grocery store. You’ll only need:
__________________________________________________
One Quart Whole Milk
One Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
Four Lemons, juiced
One Tsp. Salt
Cheesecloth (can be found at Williams-Sonoma or Sur la Table

In a heavy pot (with a thick bottom to prevent scorching), combine milk, heavy cream, and salt, to taste.  Heat the mixture slowly and carefully bring it to a light boil. You’ll want to avoid letting the milk reach a rolling boil by turning down the heat once you see tiny bubbles forming at the surface of the pot.

At this point, you want to add the juice of 3 or 4 lemons, (about 3 tablespoons). Mix the lemon juice in with just 2 or 3 turns of the spoon, just enough to disperse it throughout the milk.

Let the mixture simmer now while the lemon juice reacts with the milk to create small curds. After about 3 minutes, the curds should be fully formed, and you’re ready to strain the moisture out of your cheese!

Simply line a colander or sieve with a cheesecloth. I used two layers of cheesecloth to ensure that I caught the smaller curds. You can let the cheese drain now for 45 minutes to an hour (until you can form a sort of sack with your cheesecloth and shake it without any water dripping out). When it’s dry, you’ll have about two cups of light, fluffy, and fresh ricotta, ready for any of your favorite recipes.




















I like to mix the cheese in a bit of heavy cream after straining, making it smoother and creamier, while also diluting the surprisingly robust flavor of this normally delicate cheese, but you can handle the finished product however you prefer. The cheese is best when used within two days of making it, so be sure to plan a few ricotta-heavy meals in advance. I love to use it on pizza and pasta, or substitute it for cream cheese in some of my favorite pastries.

When you produce your own ingredients, not only do you have much more control over the final dish, but you create a much more rewarding culinary experience for yourself and the people you share with. I’ll be sure to post more delicious cheese recipes as soon as I master them.  Until then, happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment